3 Things Coaches Need to Know About Ball Tracking in Professional Football
Bayer 04 Leverkusen is the first Bundesliga club to use KINEXON ball tracking in training. Read here the three most important learnings from our webinar series on player and ball tracking — how tactical analysis will change football coaching.
Bayer 04 Leverkusen was the first professional football club to integrate ball tracking developed by KINEXON into their daily training routine. After only a few months, a remarkable playful development of the team could be recognised.
Together with Marcel Daum (Assistant Coach Analysis at Bayer 04 Leverkusen), we provided exclusive insights into the technology-based training work of the Bundesliga club in two webinars. Furthermore, the new KINEXON iPitch was presented, which will provide coaches with real-time tactical data and thus enable even more efficient training sessions.
Due to the overwhelming number of webinar participants, we summarized the three most important learnings from these sessions:
1. Ball tracking revolutionizes training
- Ball tracking is the crucial piece of football tracking that makes valid data-based tactics analysis possible in the first place
- Information on passing and shooting behaviour was previously only available subsequently via labour-intensive video analyses
- Ball tracking from KINEXON provides this information in real time, with highest accuracy and reliability and with additional data such as spin of the ball or measurements of how tightly the ball is guided
- The availability of this data during training enables the coaching staff to immediately adapt exercise units and thus improve their efficiency in a targeted manner
During a pass practice we registered that one player did not have a single ball contact in 90 seconds. We were able to react immediately.
2. The entire coaching staff benefits from tracking data
- Data alone does not offer any added value — for any part of the coaching staff
- A clearly defined strategy, which is pursued with the ball and player data, is crucial
- In the case of Bayer 04 Leverkusen, the aim was to improve the passing quality and speed of their own ball-possession game
- With complete information on the passing behaviour of individual players, team members and the entire team, behaviour patterns, strengths and weaknesses are identified
- Subsequently, inefficiencies in the game are worked on and the training progress is monitored using the data
See in the following graphic which KPIs (key performance indicators) the KINEXON iPitch offers and thus provides completely new training insights:
“If one day ball tracking should also be used in league games, we will certainly have an advantage. Because it always needs a strategy to work with ball data. We’ve been developing ours for the past few months.”
3. The comparability of data is the next big step
- Clubs have been using performance recording, measurement and analysis technologies for years and also receive detailed match data from the league
- However, different data sets and sources do not offer comparability and thus do not provide reliable information
- KINEXON has developed a football-specialized solution for this, which specifically masters this major challenge of the industry. You can find out more about it here
How Kinexon SafeZone Saves Money by Protecting Employees
An employee infected with COVID-19 can lead to a complete stop of the entire operation. The financial damage can run into the millions after 10 working days. This calculation example shows the importance of efficient protective measures — for the health of the employees and the company at the same time.
Readiness, In-Season Assessment & Recovery: Three Takeaways
Our educational sports webinar sessions on Readiness, In-Season Assessment & Recovery have concluded. We have summarized the most important takeaways for you below.
In-Season Conditioning: Three Takeaways
Our educational sports webinar sessions on In-Season Conditioning have concluded. We have summarized the most important takeaways for you before entering the next stage of the series.
What to do with the Data: Three Takeaways
Our educational sports webinar sessions on What to do with the Data have concluded. We have summarized the most important takeaways for you before entering the next stage of the series.
Load Management: Three Takeaways
Our educational sports webinar sessions on Load Management have concluded. We have summarized the most important takeaways for you before entering the next stage of the series.
COVID-19: Joining Forces against Corona
In times of crisis such as these, one thing above all is important: the solidarity between people — and in this context also between companies. Because only together we will successfully master the challenges. The Venture Client company 27pilots also recognized this and launched an initiative. We at KINEXON are part of it and help to protect employees and maintain production processes!
Social Distancing Meets RTLS: How Our Customer ASM Protects Employees From Corona in a Creative Way
With the current situation, positive news is especially welcome. One positive note came from our customer ASM. And it gave us hope for the next few months.
Smart Factory strategy with fast payback? Only if you don’t forget these points!
Our Vice President Digital Transformation knows the challenges of the industry. In his blog article he shares three simple but far-reaching recommendations.
What we learned from EXCHAINGE 2019
The 7th International Supply Chain Summit EXCHAiNGE brought us not only exciting discussions with industry experts but also an award winner with whom we have a close partnership. Our co-founder Alexander Hüttenbrink congratulates our partner and shares his takeaways.
Why Ultra-Wide Band Technology Has Been Scoring Points in Basketball for Years
One of the world’s largest tech companies is relying on Ultra Wide Band and obviously has big plans with the technology. In the US, the NBA has been flying high for years with UWB and the college teams are following suit — for good reason.
The Message That Made Our Day: BMW Wins Logistics Prize 2019
When one of our customers is awarded a prestigious prize, the whole KINEXON family is cheering, too. Especially when our technology made a decisive contribution…
Transition in the US Sports Betting Market: What Role Data Tracking Can Play
Sports betting in Europe, especially in England, is a strongly flourishing business – in the US however, it is still in its early stages.
Can Performance Tech Safeguard your Payroll?
Over the last ten years, professional sport has become more and more physically demanding: The speed of the game has increased enormously, while at the same time the schedule for teams and players has become tighter and tighter.
KINEXON at SPOBIS 2019
KINEXON was part of the largest and most important event of the sports business sector in Europe. For two days, top decision-makers discussed the future of the sports business at the SPOBIS 2019 in Düsseldorf.