3 Things Coaches Need to Know About Ball Tracking in Professional Football
Bayer 04 Leverkusen is the first Bundesliga club to use KINEXON ball tracking in training. Read here the three most important learnings from our webinar series on player and ball tracking — how tactical analysis will change football coaching.
Bayer 04 Leverkusen was the first professional football club to integrate ball tracking developed by KINEXON into their daily training routine. After only a few months, a remarkable playful development of the team could be recognised.
Together with Marcel Daum (Assistant Coach Analysis at Bayer 04 Leverkusen), we provided exclusive insights into the technology-based training work of the Bundesliga club in two webinars. Furthermore, the new KINEXON iPitch was presented, which will provide coaches with real-time tactical data and thus enable even more efficient training sessions.
Due to the overwhelming number of webinar participants, we summarized the three most important learnings from these sessions:
1. Ball tracking revolutionizes training
- Ball tracking is the crucial piece of football tracking that makes valid data-based tactics analysis possible in the first place
- Information on passing and shooting behaviour was previously only available subsequently via labour-intensive video analyses
- Ball tracking from KINEXON provides this information in real time, with highest accuracy and reliability and with additional data such as spin of the ball or measurements of how tightly the ball is guided
- The availability of this data during training enables the coaching staff to immediately adapt exercise units and thus improve their efficiency in a targeted manner
During a pass practice we registered that one player did not have a single ball contact in 90 seconds. We were able to react immediately.
2. The entire coaching staff benefits from tracking data
- Data alone does not offer any added value — for any part of the coaching staff
- A clearly defined strategy, which is pursued with the ball and player data, is crucial
- In the case of Bayer 04 Leverkusen, the aim was to improve the passing quality and speed of their own ball-possession game
- With complete information on the passing behaviour of individual players, team members and the entire team, behaviour patterns, strengths and weaknesses are identified
- Subsequently, inefficiencies in the game are worked on and the training progress is monitored using the data
See in the following graphic which KPIs (key performance indicators) the KINEXON iPitch offers and thus provides completely new training insights:
“If one day ball tracking should also be used in league games, we will certainly have an advantage. Because it always needs a strategy to work with ball data. We’ve been developing ours for the past few months.”
3. The comparability of data is the next big step
- Clubs have been using performance recording, measurement and analysis technologies for years and also receive detailed match data from the league
- However, different data sets and sources do not offer comparability and thus do not provide reliable information
- KINEXON has developed a football-specialized solution for this, which specifically masters this major challenge of the industry. You can find out more about it here
Data Privacy: 3 Examples Why Contact Tracing Is More Secure Than Its Reputation
When it comes to strategic contact tracing, there is no way around a discussion on data protection. Three prejudices are particularly common. We clarify.
Quick Answers: Frequently Asked Questions About Contact Tracing
In the fight against COVID-19, digital solutions for contact tracing are becoming increasingly important. We have collected and answered the most frequently asked questions.
"Cluster" Strategy Against a Second Wave? Companies Could Easily Follow Expert Advice
From an economic point of view, a second wave of COVID-19 infections could be even worse than the first. Circumstances have changed as well. In a guest article in “Die Zeit,” German top virologist Christian Drosten advises a new “cluster strategy.” Complex for private individuals, but actually kind of easy for companies.
Legal Implications of COVID-19: "One Should Think About the Worst Case Scenario"
To conclude our impact series, we take a look at an area that is difficult to grasp and probably the most complex: the legal dangers for companies due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We asked lawyer Dr. Christian Herbert for guidance.
Coronavirus Anxiety: 5 Tips How Employees Feel Safer with KINEXON SafeZone
“There is no health without mental health,” wrote UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres in a guest article in TIME Magazine. His message is that the coronavirus crisis is not only a threat to our physical health; it is also an immense danger to our psyche. How can KINEXON SafeZone help?
Those Who Do Not Prioritize Employee Protection Put Their Competitiveness at Risk
During the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s a natural reflex for companies to focus on cost savings. However, not providing proper protective measures for employees could create an even more significant financial burden on businesses.
Second Wave? Why Companies Now Have a Particularly High Social Responsibility
Oxford University sees Germany and Switzerland heading for a second wave. Latest cases show how companies protect their employees could be decisive. Their social responsibility is larger than ever.
How KINEXON SafeZone Saves Money by Protecting Employees
An employee infected with COVID-19 can lead to a complete stop of the entire operation. The financial damage can run into the millions after 10 working days. This calculation example shows the importance of efficient protective measures — for the health of the employees and the company at the same time.
How SafeZone Can Help Sports in North America Adapt to the ‘New Normal’
As leagues in North America begin to formalize and execute return-to-play procedures, the health & safety of players and team personnel remains top priority. One way leagues and teams in Europe are staying protected is through the adoption of innovative digital technology.
How KINEXON Technology Contributes to the Restart in German Professional Sports
The German Football Bundesliga resumed its operations on May 16th, 2020 as the world’s first top league during the COVID-19 crisis. After that, the top German Basketball League followed suit. KINEXON technology is used by both leagues and gives a glimpse into what is possible.
UWB instead of Mobile Apps
Martin Lawitzky is the Head of Product Management at KINEXON. With his team, he was deeply involved in the development of KINEXON SafeZone. His comparison of different technologies shows that when it comes to tech-based protection against infections, companies have an option that the public sector does not.
Readiness, In-Season Assessment & Recovery: Three Takeaways
Our educational sports webinar sessions on Readiness, In-Season Assessment & Recovery have concluded. We have summarized the most important takeaways for you below.
In-Season Conditioning: Three Takeaways
Our educational sports webinar sessions on In-Season Conditioning have concluded. We have summarized the most important takeaways for you before entering the next stage of the series.
What to do with the Data: Three Takeaways
Our educational sports webinar sessions on What to do with the Data have concluded. We have summarized the most important takeaways for you before entering the next stage of the series.
Load Management: Three Takeaways
Our educational sports webinar sessions on Load Management have concluded. We have summarized the most important takeaways for you before entering the next stage of the series.